990639 travellers read
Written by: Artur Jakucewicz

| Address | Passeggiata del Gianicolo, Roma |
|---|
Rome’s lighthouse stands on the Janiculum, far from any harbour. It has never served navigation. Its beam was conceived as a civic signal that could cross the city and, symbolically, the Atlantic.
The Faro del Gianicolo is formally called the Faro degli Italiani d’Argentina, or Lighthouse of the Italians of Argentina. Italian emigrants funded it as a gift to the country they had left behind. Its architecture and unusual position above Regina Coeli prison give the monument a wider story than its modest size suggests.
Contents
ToggleThe Italian community in Buenos Aires paid for the lighthouse to mark the fiftieth anniversary of national unification and affirm Rome’s place as the capital of Italy. Completed in 1911, it formed part of celebrations associated with 20 September.
The date commemorated the Italian army’s entry into Rome through Porta Pia in 1870. That event ended papal rule over the city and completed the political unification of Italy.
The site added another layer of national memory. The Janiculum had been the main battlefield in the defence of the Roman Republic of 1849. By 1911, the ridge had become a memorial landscape filled with monuments to Garibaldi and other supporters of Italian independence. The nearby Museum of the Roman Republic explains the siege that shaped this part of Rome.
From this position, the lighthouse connected three chapters of Italian history: the failed republic of 1849, the creation of the unified state, and the experience of millions of Italians living abroad.
Architect Manfredo Manfredi designed a civic monument in neoclassical form, rather than copying the practical profile of a coastal lighthouse. The choice suited an architect who had worked on the Vittoriano and designed the tomb of Victor Emmanuel II inside the Pantheon.
The structure rises 20 metres from a circular base 10 metres in diameter. White Botticino limestone, also used extensively on the Vittoriano, makes the column stand out against the dark umbrella pines of Janiculum Hill.
Above it, four lion heads and carved festoons support the large glass lantern. A spiral staircase climbs inside the monument, followed by a steep iron ladder to the light. The public cannot use this functional interior as an observation deck.

The dedication follows the circular band below the lions:
A ROMA CAPITALE GLI ITALIANI D’ARGENTINA. MCMXI
It translates as “To Rome, the capital, from the Italians of Argentina. 1911.” The Roman numeral MCMXI records the year. Because the text wraps around the monument, you have to walk around the base to read the complete sentence.
The lantern was designed to illuminate Rome in the colours of the Italian flag. A contemporary description of the first tests recorded green, white, and red light changing at intervals of about twenty minutes across the city’s roofs and domes.
The display even entered Roman speech. Sembri er faro der Gianicolo, meaning “You look like the Janiculum Lighthouse,” became a teasing description of somebody wearing unusually bright or mismatched colours.
The tricolour display is now reserved for selected national anniversaries and commemorations. The rotating mechanism failed for several years. Technicians restored it in 2024.
The white column is easy to recognise from the terrace, but from central Rome most of it merges into the trees. Look for the round glass lantern projecting just above the dark line of pines.
The photograph below was taken from Capitoline Hill. The arrow identifies the lantern on the wooded Janiculum ridge beyond the domes and rooftops. Once you know its shape, the lighthouse becomes a useful reference point for locating the hill from across Rome.

You can also see it from the Pincio Terrace in Villa Borghese. From there, scan the wooded ridge to the left of St Peter’s dome. The pale base is difficult to separate from the distant landscape, so the glass top is the best feature to follow.
The terrace faces Regina Coeli, Rome’s main prison, lower down near the Tiber. Families once climbed here to shout urgent news to relatives behind its walls. Messages passed through calls and agreed gestures between the hillside and the prison.
The practice was prohibited, although authorities sometimes tolerated essential family announcements such as a birth or death. For these visitors, the panorama mattered because the terrace provided a fragile connection with somebody below.
The lighthouse still connects Rome with Argentina in another way. On 24 March, Argentina observes its Day of Remembrance for Truth and Justice, commemorating people abducted and disappeared during the military dictatorship of 1976 to 1983. Rome has marked the date by illuminating the monument.
The ceremony has extended the meaning of the original gift. A monument funded by emigrants to express loyalty to Italy now gives Rome a place to acknowledge Argentina’s history in return.
A few minutes are enough to examine the Faro del Gianicolo, and visitors cannot normally climb to the lantern. It works best as one stop on the Janiculum promenade.
Walk north from Piazzale Garibaldi beneath the umbrella pines. The hill’s noon cannon, panoramic terraces, and lighthouse can all form part of the same route.
Start across the terrace to see the complete silhouette. Then approach the column, follow the dedication around the stone, and study the lions beneath the lantern. A gift sent from Buenos Aires in 1911 remains part of both Rome’s skyline and its modern commemorative life.
Author: Artur Jakucewicz
This website uses cookies. For more info read the cookies policy
RomeItaly.guide © 2026. Created with love by Roman experts and guides.